Records Request

What is a Record?

Everything the university community creates – both in hardcopy and/ or electronically, is considered a record. University records are public records and may not be destroyed and/or transferred without an official retention period approved by the University Records Manager. All records must be retained according to a legally approved records retention schedule.

The State of Florida formally defines a record in Chapter 119.

Types of Records Request

Below is a list of records requests with information on how to proceed if your department or college were to receive one.

Public Records

If you are submitting a public records request, please visit the Public Records Request website.


If you receive a subpoena, or for any inquiries or please contact

Personnel Records

Requesting Your Own File:

  • You may request your personnel file via email at
    • While email is the most convenient method for personnel file requests, you may also request your file by phone or in-person.
  • Please include your UFID and/or DOB in the email request.
  • Requests outside an individual’s personnel file, may require a labor fee.

Do not provide your Social Security Number via email.

Requesting Someone Else’s File:

Protected Files

Some categories of people, including police officers and their spouses, victims of certain crimes, internal audit personnel and guardians ad litem may have additional protection under Florida law for specific personal information. The university generally does not disclose personal information, such as birth certificates and home address for these individuals unless otherwise required by law.

Department’s Role in Records Request

Since the University of Florida is a public institution, we are governed by the State of Florida Statue, Section 119, regarding public records; thus, personnel files are subject to public review.

The staff members from Employment Operations and Records (EOR) serve as record custodians for all employee and faculty personnel files and work closely with the Privacy, General Counsel and News and Public Affairs offices in maintaining and releasing employee information.

What to Do If You Receive a Records Request

In any instance where a person is served a subpoena, notice of deposition, or other legal process that relates to university business, that person shall immediately inform the UF General Counsel.

Barbara Wood
Phone: (352) 392-1358

How to help answer a records request

In order to efficiently collect all needed documents, there are times when EOR will ask campus HR departments to assist in answering a request. Below is a breakdown on how departments can help provide the best service to the requestor.

  • Provide all responding records by EOR’s due date.
  • Provide only departmental documents that have NOT been uploaded to OnBase.
  • Notify EOR by emailing HR Employment if your point of contact who can assist with public records has changed.
  • Send all files through Dropbox.